Thursday, January 24, 2008

Making God answer our prayers – Isaiah 58:6

Isaiah, one of the famous prophets of the Bible, gets a revelation from God about fasting and prayer. The people of Israel had developed a custom to fast on a particular day in a week. Over the years the meaning of fasting was lost but the tradition was mundane. But people always had a feeling why God does not answer prayers even after following a strict fasting schedule. It is at this period that God speaks through Isaiah in 58:6.

God gives a different perspective to what fasting could mean. I was deeply touched by this chapter because it reminded me of how we today have forgotten the real meaning of our relation with God. We read the Bible and pray everyday and fast once a week. But are we doing it as a custom or with a meaning? Shouldn’t we meditate the word of God instead of reading? Shouldn’t we commune to God through prayer instead of expression of mere words? Shouldn’t we be spreading the fragrance of Christ instead of just being content with the mundane Christian activities?

Hear what God speaks through Isaiah:

"6 Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?

7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe him,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?

8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness [a] will go before you,
and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.

9 Then you will call, and the LORD will answer;
you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I. "

God declares that it’s when we do good to others passionately, He will answer us. I love the words that say ‘then He will say, “Here am I”’. What a privilege? Today’s hi-tech jobs provide flamboyant salaries and exorbitant raises. Could we share a little of what we earn to the needy so that our spirituality makes sense?

Lord, thank you for reminding me what I ought to do for you to hear me when I call. Help me to give meaning to my relationship with you by fulfilling your desires as in Isaiah 58:6. Help me to do it with all my heart. Amen.

If you are touched by this passage you could start your first step by sponsoring a child with World Vision India. More details on their website http://www.worldvision.in/. Please note that I am not an ambassador for WV … I’m a sponsor and feel that it’s a divine ministry to make a difference in a child in need.

No comments: